September 17, 2014
Juab School District embraces the critical stewardship parents have in the educational process of their children. Juab School District highly supports working hand in hand with parents to ensure the success of their child. As equal participants, the goal is to always do what is in the best interest of children.
- A parent has primary responsibility for the education of his/her child; the state is in a secondary and supportive role to parents.
- A parent has the right to reasonable academic accommodations from Juab School District as specified below.
- Juab School District superintendent or designee will make a determination of what is reasonable based on the factors provided in Utah Code Ann. 53A-15-1501(2)(a) and (b) as outlined below.
- “Reasonably accommodate” means:
- Juab School District shall make its’ best effort to enable parents to exercise their rights without substantial impact to staff and resources. Impact to staff and resources includes but not limited to:
- Employee working conditions.
- Safety and supervision on school premises and for school activities, and
iii. The efficient allocation of expenditures.
- In accommodating a parent request, Juab School District will balance the following:
- The rights of parents.
- The educational needs of other students.
iii. The academic and behavioral impacts to a classroom.
- A teacher’s workload and;
- The assurance of the safe and efficient operation of a school.
- Juab School District will consider each accommodation on an individual basis.
- Juab School District will consider all students equally in granting accommodations.
- Juab School District will make its’ best effort to allow parents to exercise the rights below, but may deny a request for accommodation that;
- Substantially impacts staff and resources, or:
- Infringes on the educational needs of other students, the academic and behavioral impacts to a classroom, teacher’s workload, and the assurance of the safe and efficient operation of a school.
- Parents have the right to have reasonable accommodations for their student by Juab School District as specified below:
- Pursuant to a written request, to have a student retained based on the student’s academic ability or the student’s social, emotional, or physical maturity.
- Pursuant to a written request, to excuse a student from attendance for a family event or visit to a health care provider;
- Juab School District may require a student to complete make-up work missed due to an absence excused for a family event.
- Juab School District may also offer positive incentives for students to attend school.
- Pursuant to a written request, to place a student in a specialized class or advance course, based on multiple academic points;
- To initially select a teacher;
- To request a change of a teacher;
- To visit and observe any class the student attends;
- To meet with a teacher at a mutually agreeable time, other than regular parent/teacher conferences.
- Juab School District will
- Allow a student to earn course credit towards graduation without the course by testing out of the course, or demonstrating competency in course standards.
- Pursuant to a written request, excuse a student from statewide or NAEP testing.
- The parental rights above do not include all rights that may be available to parents.
Notice to Parents and Students
- This policy serves as notice to parents of their rights under Utah Code 53A-15- 1502.
- Juab School District will distribute the school’s conduct and discipline policy to students including students that have enrolled for the first time.
- Parents will be notified and provided with an opportunity to acknowledge receipt of the school’s conduct and discipline policy.
- Juab School District administration will notify a parent of a student’s violation of the conduct and discipline policy and allow a parent to respond to the notice in accordance with school conduct and discipline plans.